Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Review: The Darker Sex, Edited by Mark Ashley

The Darker Sex: Tales of the Supernatural and Macabre by Victorian Woman Writers 




Obviously, when I saw this book I had to get it. I mean: Supernatural, macabre, Victorian and some Feminism? I grabbed it as soon as I sighted it, and I'm very glad I did. 

The Palace of Death - Emilie Bronte

Death wants a new servant, to help her claim more lives. But who shall she choose? What is the greatest enemy of mankind, Ambition, Fanaticism, Intermperance or Wrath?

The Old Nurses Tale - Elizabeth Gaskell

The young Miss Rosamand and her nurse are living in a large house, and everyone likes them. Everythings great...Until one day Miss Rosamand disapears, and when she's found near dead tells a tale of a young girl luring her out of the house, to a woman who sang her to sleep. Who is this young girl? And what awful past does the house hold?

The Shadow in the Corner - Mary E. Braddon

A maid comes to work in Wildheath Grange, but what secrets does her room hold? As she tries to sleep she feels a great depression apon her, and just before dawn a strange shadow appears by a rusty hook. Why is this shadow here? And what lengths will the maid go to to relive herself from her night time hauntings?

Obviously, there are more stories than these, but these three are my favourite 

A brilliant buy, and a necessary addition to any Goth's bookshelf

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the Gothic Tales book by Elizabeth Gaskell, and, in m y opinion the Old Nurse's story is the best one

Aisling Lark said...

I know, right? I love The Old Nurse's Story :D